Wisconsin Cheesemakers Win Top Number of Awards At World Championship Cheese Contest
Wisconsin cheesemakers continued their winning ways at the 2010 World Championship Cheese Contest by once again earning more awards than any state or nation in the competition. The contest, held in Madison, Wis., attracted a record 2,318 entries from 20 countries.
Wisconsin claimed 73 awards, 21 of them gold medal Best of Class distinctions. Of the remaining U.S. states with contest entries, New York won six Best of Class, with Idaho earning five and California, four. Wisconsin also surpassed the international competition with Canada and the Netherlands each winning five Best of Class awards, followed by Denmark with four.
Wisconsin cheesemakers swept the top three places in eight different cheese classes: Marbled Curd, Havarti, Brick/Muenster, Gouda Flavored, Quesos para Fundir, Pepper Flavored Cheeses, Cold Pack Cheese Food, and Cold Pack Cheese Spread.
A Swiss cheesemaker Cedric Vuille, of Emmi Kase AG took Best of Show honors for his Gruyère.
Wisconsin gold medal winners are:
- Class 5, Cheddar Aged 2 years+, Land O’Lakes Inc., Kiel
- Class 10, Marbled Curd Cheese: Colby Jack Longhorn, Meister Cheese Company, Muscoda
- Class 15, Mild Provolone, Trega Foods, Luxemburg
- Class 16, Aged Provolone: Mandarini Provolone, Park Cheese Company, Inc., Fond du Lac
- Class 18, Parmesan, BelGioioso Cheese, Inc., Denmark
- Class 22, Havarti, Edelweiss Creamery, Monticello
- Class 28, Cottage Cheese: 4% Cottage Cheese, Westby Co-op Creamery, Westby
- Class 32, Brick, Muenster: Brick, Klondike Cheese Company, Monroe
- Class 38, Flavored Gouda: Burning Melange Gouda, Holland’s Family Cheese LLC, Thorp
- Class 40, Quesos Para Fundir: Asadero, Zimmerman Cheese, Wiota
- Class 45, Pepper Flavored Cheeses: Queso Fresco with Jalapenos, Wisconsin Cheese Group, Monroe
- Class 48, Flavored Hard Cheeses: Peppercorn Cheddar, Henning Cheese, Inc., Kiel
- Class 51, Open Class Soft Cheeses: Mascarpone, BelGioioso Cheese, Inc., Denmark
- Class 58, Cold Pack Cheese, Cheese Food: Cheddar with Beer Cold Pack, Kraemer Wisconsin Cheese, Watertown
- Class 59, Cold Pack Cheese Spread: Horseradish Cheese Spread, Bel Brands USA Inc., Kaukauna
- Class 60, Spreadable Cheeses: Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Kraft Foods, Beaver Dam
- Class 65, Flavored Soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses: Fresh Chevre Cranberry Cinnamon, Montchevre Betin Inc., Belmont
- Class 67, Semi-Soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses: Crumbled Goat Cheese, Montchevre Betin Inc., Belmont
- Class 75, Flavored Soft & Semi-Soft Mixed Milk Cheeses: Airco, Carr Valley Cheese Co., La Valle
- Class 77, Hard Mixed Milk Cheeses: Caso Bolo Mellage, Carr Valley Cheese Co., La Valle
- Class 80, Open Class Shredded Cheese: Shredded SarVecchio Parmesan, Sartori Foods Corporation, Plymouth
The World Championship Cheese Contest is the largest international cheese and butter competition in the world. It is held every two years in Madison and sponsored by the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association. For complete results, visit www.worldchampioncheese.org.