Wisconsin cheesemakers swept the annual American Cheese Society Competition Aug. 7 in Austin, Texas, capturing 93 ribbons, including a prestigious Runner-Up Best of Show prize.
Of 1,327 total entries, Wisconsin cheesemakers scored nearly one third of all awards bestowed, more than any other state. America's Dairyland's 93 awards included 24 firsts, 34 seconds and 35 third places. Cheesemakers from 197 companies in 32 U.S. states, Canada and Mexico were represented.
Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook, of Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle, claimed 20 ribbons, including Third Place Best of Show with Cave Aged Mellage, a mixed milk, aged cheese. Hidden Springs Creamery, Westby, captured the second most ribbons for Wisconsin, with a total of 8 awards. Holland's Family Cheese took home six ribbons for various styles and flavors of Dutch-style Goudas.
First place ribbons went to:
- BelGioioso Cheese Inc., Denmark: Burrata
- Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle: Four-Year Cheddar, Cave Aged Mellage, Cocoa Cardona
- Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, Waterloo: Les Frères Reserve
- Edelweiss Creamery, Monticello: St. Mary's Grass-Fed Gouda
- Hidden Springs Creamery, Westby: Driftless Honey Lavender, Farmstead Feta
- Holland's Family Cheese, Thorp: Marieke Gouda Clove
- Klondike Cheese, Monroe: Dill Havarti, Lowfat Feta
- Meister Cheese, Muscoda: Roasted Red Pepper Mozzarella
- Montchevre-Betin, Belmont: Mini Log Flavored with Honey
- Organic Valley, La Farge: Organic European Style Cultured Butter, Organic Pasteurized Pepper Jack Cheese
- Pasture Pride Cheese, Cashton: Redstone, Guusto
- Roth Käse USA, Monroe: St. Otho, Gran Queso, Valfino
- Sartori Foods, Plymouth: Sartori Reserve Merlot BellaVitano, Sartori Reserve Black Pepper BellaVitano, Sartori Reserve SarVecchio Asiago, Sartori Reserve Pastoral Blend
In addition to winning the most first place awards, Wisconsin cheesemakers swept six categories: American Originals Mixed Milk or Sheep's Milk Cheeses; American Made/International Style, Dutch Style; American Made/International Style Mixed Milk or Sheep's Milk Cheeses; Italian Type Cheese, Grating Styles; Italian Type Cheese, Pasta Filata; and Smoked Cheeses, Open Category Made from Sheep's Milk.
View a complete list of all Wisconsin award winners from this year's American Cheese Society awards.